Thursday, November 17, 2011

Quote of the Day

"They came in and she introduced herself and I shook her hand and I said, 'Is this your sister?' And she said, 'No, this is my partner.' And I said 'okay' and I asked them to sit down because we needed to talk. I said 'I will tell you that I'm a Christian and I do have convictions and I'm sorry to tell you that I'm not going to be able to do your cake.'"

-Victoria Childress, owner of a cake-baking business, speaking about how she refused to bake a cake for a same-sex couple's wedding.


Although I have experienced how degrading situations like this can be, I also found this instance kind of funny. Because it's a cake. A freaking cake. That would later be consumed by GaY PeOpLe OOGEDY BOOGEDY WOOGEDY!

I mean, it's been a long time since I was in Bible school, but I do not remember Jesus saying anything about how it's prohibited to bake cakes for lesbians.

In an interview, Childress explained that she refused to bake the women's cake because of "her convictions for their lifestyle," and not "to discriminate against them."

So. Yeah.

One, we see that apparent desperation some people have about wanting to act bigoted but not be called bigoted. Like, her actions constitute the very essence of discrimination in that she's treating a same-sex couple differently than she treats heterosexual couples because of their belonging to a group she has "convictions" about, but she's all I'm Not Trying To Discriminate Against Them Or Anything. As though saying it's not discrimination magically makes it Un-Discrimination.

Two. Why is it always same-sex couples and GLBT people that Religious People With Strong Convictions feel this extra special need to discriminate against as opposed to other "sinners"? Like, lady probably doesn't turn down business from heterosexuals who have been married multiple times, right? She probably doesn't make people fill out forms attesting that they follow the Ten Commandments, right? But when it comes to gay weddings she's all Thou Shalt Not Bake This Cake, like it's some Big-Time Stand For Morality.

It's like, really, this is your battle?

Whatevs. Pie is better anyway.

No comments: