Monday, December 26, 2011

Against Gender Bullying

Here's some good news.

A teacher actively strives to break down gender stereotypes and gets students to think critically about them.

I particularly liked this part:

"I also became very aware of using the phrase 'boys and girls' to address my students. Instead, I used gender-neutral terms like 'students' or 'children.' At first, the more I thought about it, the more often I’d say 'boys and girls.' I tried not to be too hard on myself when I slipped, and eventually I got out of the habit and used 'students' regularly."

When we call people "boys and girls" or "ladies and gentlemen" (and I do this too), we note a gender distinction and, in so doing, imply that the distinctions between boys and girls (or men and women) are the most important and defining distinctions about a person.

But, are they?

Anyway, I'm sure some will view what this teacher is doing as Unacceptable Homosexual* Indoctrination (OOGA BOOGA), but I really think more adults could use some lessons like these.

(*Because people who don't think critically about gender think anything having to do with gender nonconformity is gay, natch)

No comments: